- Stephen: Where is 90% of the Universe?
- Jeremy: IKEA.
Posts tagged QI.
The lack of curiosity is the Dementor that sucks all hope, joy, possibility and beauty out of the world. The dull torpid acedia that does not care to find out, that has no hunger and thirst for input, understanding and connection will desertify the human landscape and land our descendants squarely in the soup. Do we want our species to make its way, foreheads thrust out, knuckles grazing the ground, into a barren of tedium and brutish unquestioning blindness, or do we want to skip through the world filled with wonder, curiosity and an appetite for discovery?
“If you’re ever trying to get the eye out of a fish and it blinks, it may be a lion.”
A post for Anna.
This is all I managed to find in my bookmarks for now, but as I come across others I will add them.
- Religion has had its day. (Argumental) Marcus Brigstocke argues FOR while Rory McGrath argues AGAINST on Argumental, a comedy debate show shown on UK television channels Dave and BBC2.
- The theory of evolution is nonsense. (Argumental) Dara O’Briain argues FOR while Marcus Brigstocke argues AGAINST.
- Dara O’Briain on God Moments and Evolution
- Dara O’Briain on Catholicism and Creationism; Frankie Boyle on Sarah Palin and her views on Creationism
- Dara O’Briain on a mixed marriage. A girl from Cork who was Catholic and a guy from Edinburgh who was Protestant. A mixed marriage.
- Marcus Brigstocke on the three Abraham Religions (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) Equal opportunity criticism of three of the main world religions.
- Marcus Brigstocke rants about religion Not a fan of Ann Widecombe? Neither is he.
- Dylan Moran on religion On his religious crisis, growing up in a religious country, prejudice, religions, and imaginary friends. Absurdist and brilliant.
- QI on Christianity, Christmas, and Mithras. Why is Christmas Day on 25 December? Outlines the similarities between Mithras, a Roman god of the Sun, and Jesus Christ. “Is he a tribute band?”
- Jimmy Carr defends Atheism. Jimmy Carr grew up Catholic and converted to Atheism as an adult.
- Unlikely lines to read in the Bible. (Mock the Week)
This list is full of so much win. Because comedy is a method for seeking truth through absurdity, comedians are often the best people to turn to when it comes to separating religious truth from fiction. I love it.
- David Mitchell: “It’s like trying to police a country with Daleks.”
- Jimmy Carr: “Which would never work with the disabled access we’ve got now. The Daleks can get everywhere.”
- David Mitchell: “Jimmy… did you say… that you think… that disabled access is a Dalek conspiracy?”
- Jimmy Carr: “Yes. That is exactly what I said.”
- Stephen Fry: What's the most famous line from a Tarzan film?
- Ronni Ancona: Oh, "Me Tarzan, you Jane."
- Stephen Fry: Yes, except of course it never happened.
- Ronni Ancona: What?!
- David Mitchell: Why do these films always forget to put their most famous lines in?
- Stephen: People haven't read the Bible much these days, but I can read to you from Genesis, Chapter 7. "And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation. Of every--"
- Alan: Why did they talk like that?
- Stephen: Well, he spoke Hebrew, didn't he, dear. This is a translation into English, you see.
- Alan: [covers face with hand]
- Stephen: They spoke like that when they really could speak English, Alan. I think in five-hundred years time, when they hear the things we've said, and perhaps even things you've said, they might go, "Jesus--"
- Alan: Don't pick on me! You're quoting from a mythical being!
Alan Davies: Is it true that you gave Prince Charles, for his wedding present, some coffee made out of weasel shit?
Stephen Fry: Mmm, not exactly. [pauses] It was Cambodian… weasel vomit. It’s a coffee that these weasels eat, and then—
Alan Davies: They eat the beans, and then from what they excrete—
Stephen Fry: No, vomit. They vomit, and the acid in the stomach kind of softens it, and it’s apparently very flavoursome. [pauses] I just felt it was something he wouldn’t have!
- Jimmy Carr: It's just so stupid beating your wife; I mean it's your wife. That's like keying your own car
- David Mitchell: Society just got a tiny bit worse
- Jimmy Carr: I like to think I can help
Alan Davies: Jackass The Movie is the funniest film ever made
Bill Bailey: I prefer Jackass The Novel.
I love QI
A lot of people hate on Rich Hall, but I think he’s hilarious on QI.
Poor Alan has learnt to be suspicious of Stephen’s questions.